Saturday, June 2, 2012

On being enthusiastic

So, as a follower of the right good Wil Wheton and John Green*, I'm coming to grips with the fact that I just need to let myself be excited about things, and to not worry about that being too much for people. So I'm liking things more, and loving things more, and it's making me happy.

But being so flaming poor lately has had a side effect in this category: see, I've been so poor for so long now, that things like having a few extra dollars to buy chocolate, or to get the good toilet paper instead of the cheap stuff, or to go to see a matinee, makes me really happy. I mean, on the one hand, there's that mean little part of my brain that's telling me that's pathetic. On the other hand, though, there's the new, positive part of my brain saying I'm allowed to be happy about silly things, and that right now, those are among the things that make me happy, so I should revel in it.

And it's something I used to not think about, so it's adding to my Examined Life--I mean, how often does the average person really worry about choosing between dinner tonight and a candybar now? Or about whether they even have an opinion on which toilet paper they're buying?

Don't get me wrong, being this broke sucks, and I'm not sticking around in this state any longer than I have to, but it's given me this appreciation of little things to counter all the piles of annoying and frustrating things, and it's okay to be happy about them. It's okay to be enthusiastic about anything that makes me happy.** And I really don't see, now, why I ever squelched that.

What makes you happy right now? What is making you giddy and silly, even if--or especially if--it's something little and usually overlooked?




*Neither of whose blogs I'm currently up to date on, but, you know, 'follower of' in the sense of liking how they view the world.
**Even when things that make me happy eat my brain. Have you seen my Tumblr? It's all stuff that makes me happy in one way or another--and it's not everything. I pick and choose. My impulse is to reblog every single Sherlock, Doctor Who, Supernatural, Castle, book, tea, colorful bedroom thing I see, but instead I pick the ones that really, honestly make me smile.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...