Tuesday, June 9, 2009

linky links

A week's worth of gathered links, this time, organized by topic for easy browsing!

Science:
A planet the same size as it's sun was found, and scientists are wondering if that's normal-- maybe we're not even in a normal solar system, as well as not being in the center of that galaxy, the universe, or anything else.

A new kind of cloud has been discovered, the first identified since the 50s. I love that something so obvious can have new things... though it's a little creepy if it's new because we're changing things (that wasn't mentioned at all, which is why it makes me nervous; maybe I'm just being paranoid).

Some unknown process is cleaning the air in China more than it should, and not producing the usual byproducts. They're looking for a silver-bullet reason, but I think it's more likely to be a combination of things-- the usual process is going on, and then something else is eating up the ozone that's produced. Pollution defeating itself? There's probably another side-effect.

The electric rocket that wants to win the Lunar X-Prize. Better yet, to do it cheaply, because it hardly has any fuel. It'll take a few months to get there, but that means corrections are easier, the trip is easier, and really, our culture needs to work on patience anyway.

The Romanians are building a baloon that will lift a rocket high enough to launch. This'll be so steampunk awesome if it works. Apparently, we were studying such an idea at the beginning of space exploration and decided it was too unstable an idea; let's see how they handle it, shall we?

Next shuttle launch,  7:17 a.m. launch time Saturday, June 13. These were supposed to be the last few, but I guess the mission has been extended again. I think the Next Gen ship isn't ready yet; the X-Prizes are still going, but time is running out before Richard Branson just does it himself, so NASA better hop to.

A new study shows how, paradoxically, war can lead to altruism in human development. It seems really obvious in the article, and I'm a little miffed that I didn't think of it before the scientists did; I dort of like to be the six year old in the room who sees what the people who have devoted their lives to it don't.




Science Fiction:
Short Circuit joins the remake parade.

StarGate Universe TV bit. Looks... like Battlestar Galactica. I'm fine with BSG, I really like it, but I don't think SciFi needs to lop off all the shows it already has to make then into nu-BSG when they were working just fine the way they were. But on the other hand, Atlantis was fresher and cleaner than SG1 when it started, and maybe SGU will be the same; plus, I adore Robert Carlyle and Ming Na, and I'm hoping none of the big names are killed off in the pilot ep. Because that's been done twice.

A new Blade-Runner-inspired webseries soon. There's owndership and copyright issues about the story itself, so it won't be a direct prequil, but it's in the same world, and I think that's pretty cool. I know at least one person who'll be thrilled.




A Greener World:
The Transportation head in New York recently closed down parts of the most crowded roads in the City to reclaim them for foot-traffic, and it's amazing. It's ballsy. It's something other big cities should do.

Grist has an article about what to do with seeds instead of composting them... which would have been nice to have found before my compost got full of volunteers...

Food foreign policy. Eating is getting so political.

New rules of shared ownership for cars and such. Which I think is a gret idea. We don't all need individual cars in cities-- and it already works in Paris.

Entire towns are transitioning to sustainability! Here's another: St Albans. I love it. It shows the sort of responsibility and ownership of actions a town is supposed to have, as well as building a better community, setting a good example, and proving that the future really does matter. My town is freakishly short-sighted, and I wish it would take a page from these books. Maybe I'll start writing letters.

The Transition Movement is necessitating a shift in the ideals and political structures of the towns in question. Which is desperately needed.




Alternative Living:
A hydraulic, expandable mobile home built out of a small mac truck in Japan. It's like a camper / winnebago below, but the upper part, the part that expands, is like a traditional japanese loft room, complete with tatami and everuthing. It's beautiful.

A fold-out mobile home! It crunches up and fits all together, then it unfolds into a big circle home with everything you need! It's like a pop-up book you can live in. Sad that it's just a concept still.

Two more modern takes on prefab homes here and here. I love that the prefab thing is so popular-- so much of the damage done by housing can be stopped, and we can be mobile, which lowers the ecological impact even more! I imagine seasonal, migratory cities...

An entirely-self-sufficient pod home, 300 sq ft, solar and wind-powered, and able to blend into it's surroundings. And it's space-age looking.

Rooftop homes! A beautiful idea: a little pod-home that can be placed up on top of other structures that aren't using their rooves anyway. And better yet, since it's portable, it has that nomadic beauty-seeking streak that I love.

Fold-out cargo-box homes. These are great ideas for using up old cargo shipping boxes, but since they fold out and not, say, up or something, they aren't as good for saving space as they could be. When I think of cargo-box homes, I think of those massive warehouses full of boxes, all converted into amazing miniature cities to help with overpopulation. These do have the movability that I love, though you'd need a big mac truck to move them.




Food:
A wikipedia entry on what seeds are edible, including several that I didn't think of.

The revival of artisan home canning-- and the return of real flavor. I love the artisan food movement (though it shouldn't have come to the point where it was necessary, but whatever). I love that people care more about what they eat and are rediscovering that real food once had real flavor and can again.

Ways to eat cheaper and healthier at once!

Home-made marshmallows! Well, really awesome-sounding home-made modern marshies. i still need to look up how to make old-school marshmallows out of the actual marshmallow plant. I heard the Egyptians made them with honey. That could be awesome. But I'll try these first.

Grilled desserts and outdoor breakfasts! Great idea for summer, especially here where the heat gets oppressive soon after breakfast and might make it hard to care about grilling when it's lunch or dinner.

Mocktails for when you want a mix, but not booze. I need to get myself some elderflower cordial. Or find an elder.

A food-by-decades timeline with menus, lists, even recipes! Not many pictures, though.

Early summer pasta: orrechiette with kale and sausage. Fab. I love how kale goes with fatty cured meats.

Picnic menus, care of the Kitchn. We need to find somewhere relatively bug-free and have a few picnics this summer. Maybe the Moors by the Fort?

A study of the season's Other Veggies-- the things that are odd and unusual and still in season from winter.

A whole longs list of things to make with the crazy-abundant strawberries we have out now.




Fun Things:
If you go to Wolfram Alpha and type in the question 'are you skynet', it has an answer the programmers programmed in.

This article is about how this guy looks like a video game character, but I just like the video-- I lived there for almost four years, and I have no idea what he's saying. It's a glorious exploration of language, and it's weird how rap has taken over all forms of spoken word...

A blog that's just gorgeous pictures of urban and industrial decay. I always thought there's something beautiful about these monuments to man's power going back to the earth.


Really great stackable patio furniture that becomes art when it's stacked. I never understood why something had to be functional and not beautiful (scandinavia and japan and italy and france never got that memo, so why did we?), and these are both! As the world gets more crowded, things need to be more beautiful, or it's just going to be a horrible ugly mess stuffed with unhappy people.

A 28$ firepit for a back yard.




Fandom:
Alan Tudyk interviewed about his recent work on Dollhouse and upcoming work on V. He's so adorable.




Gardening:
How to grow an avocado from seed. but it says the fruits of seed-grown 'cados aren't usually good, which makes me sad. I wonder if they're throwbacks to whatever avocadoes were like before they were farmed? Because that might be kind of awesome-- primordial avocadoes...

Growing native berries at home. Whoo! I've got blueberries on the back porch; when I have stable income again, I'm going to start adding to that and build myself a berry patch that will hopefully feed me... though it would have been nice to be fed now, when I'm so poor... NOTE TO SELF: time to start planting things again.

Mother Earth News has a nifty cross-website plant and seed finder search engine. Again, when I have more money, I'm all over that.

Uncommon fruits for the garden. I have a book about this, but it's not a very new book, and it's nice to see other people taking notice on a wider forum. I'm going to have such an amazing garden one day.




Literacy:
Book "ATMs" to print on demand. This is awesome. Flood the world with books, save on space and save on publishing costs, while still getting literacy out to millions who wouldn't find these small-print and rare and old books otherwise. Since Borders has sold out and no longer provides these things...




Feminism:
A study says that women aren't advancing in science as quickly as they're gaining degrees. The article draws the conclusion that this is because they're women in a man's world, but isn't that kind of an old arguement? There's no charts on how quickly men are gaining degrees vs getting science jobs, and there's always been fewer jobs that people to fill them, PLUS, we've been going through eight-odd years of a scientific braindrain, where all the good jobs are moving to other countries and taking the scientists with them. 

I hate when women undo feminism. It's one thing to live your own life as if it's never changed from the 50s, but it's quite another thing to write an article in a men's magazine, saying you're telling them what women are actually thinking, and proceeding to paint all women with the same neurotic and outdated brush. I call shenanigans, and I call bullshit, and I severely disapprove.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...