Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Tech, singularity and the FYOOTURE

Over on io9 again. This time, talking about how everything is going to get worse before it gets better. It's an article about how environmental collapse forces change, and how in the long run, that's good. As usual, the comments went somewhere else. Here's my thoughts:

  • If rejuvenation becomes a thing, the issue won't be that some can afford it and others can't; the issue will be that no one is dying off and leaving space for those who keep coming after. 
  • If there's perfect and endless rejuvenation, it's not likely that it's going to be only for the rich OR only for everyone. Likely, it'll land somewhere in the middle, or it'll develop gradually so that people don't think about it-- or the whole issue will be drowned by some other tech spinoff / invention / discovery that no one saw coming and the whole path will be diverted somewhere else. In the 60s, we could have colonized the moon by now, but focusing on small tech devices was cheaper or whatever, and we have the internet instead.*
  • One of the commenters thinks there'll be revolution, and soon. Just says it offhand like it's a foregone conclusion. I don't think there will be. I have no doubt that people will do crazy things and think it's a revolution at some point, but a full-on one? There's too many people here who can't be arsed to answer their phones, let alone live in a ditch somewhere, plotting a war. If it comes, I think it'll be more that people have chosen other ways of doing things, not by fighting, and the social pressure will force change.



* Incidentally, I'm old enough to have noticed as things changed. I was 24 when I got my first cellphone; my niece was seven. And then there's the ubiquity-- I know that for my senior project in high school, I used the library research books to get my info, but now, I don't know that I remember how. What the hell did I do before Wikipedia and Google??

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...