Saturday, March 6, 2010

neat green things: home-made musical instruments

This article from Planet Green tells you how to make a Rainstick, a Balloon Drum, a Cigarbox Guitar, a Pipe Flute and a Key Chime, all of which seem easy and wonderful, and I think I might have to start making them soon. I'm sure I can scrounge materials around town, and I love noisemakers-- I've literally got a box of them in my room, and a jar full of several pipes I don't really know how to play but periodically attempt to learn, which confuses the dog and makes the cats all bugger off.

I love the idea of making things for myself. I love the idea of reusing things that have been declared 'junk' by our society to make something beautiful-- not just a junk sculpture, since those usually are sort of ugly (though I do like the ones in Ripley's lobby that have sheep with old rotary phone heads), but something that continues to create beauty and have a further use for the society. Especially since there's nothing saying you can't decorate them after they're made, and especially especially since people keep cutting music education from the schools (which is what I'm blaming for the boringness of so much modern music).

So there I am. And I knew I shouldn't have thrown away those old keys I had laying around...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...