Monday, August 20, 2012

Thought Question #902


This is a tricky one, because I think the term is wrong. Being conscious of yourself is something I think everyone needs to have--how else are we supposed to know what our motivations are, what the results of our actions are, how we process information and make decisions? It's being overly aware of yourself, to the point of being unable to see the higher functions and only being able to see the little details and to worry about how others see them, that's the bad thing.

That being said, my immediate reaction to this question was everything. Depending on the day, I worry about my hair, my skin, how fat I am and how my clothes fit, whether I'm secretly sick and don't know it but others can tell and aren't telling me...I could go on. But I don't want to feed this nonsense, because I've realized it is nonsense. Most people don't look that closely at me, and I have other things to occupy myself with.

One thing I never feel self-conscious about in the usual usage of the term? My teeth. I have really crazy crooked teeth, but I don't worry about them. That's just how they are, and I don't believe that I should be forced to spend tens of thousands of dollars to get them fixed, and to suffer all that pain, when they don't bother me. They don't get in the way of talking or eating or making out, so why should I worry?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...