Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Day 26: 12-24-2008

Christmas Eve! I'm working on the trees today-- I put six chestnuts into the fridge on a damp cloth to overwinter until Feb-- Probably the 14th, if they're showing roots yet, because it's easier to remember landmarks like holidays. And if I'm planting things, maybe my love of the earth will ease the lack of boy-love I generally get on Valentines Day.

Anyway, assuming all six sprout, that's replacing the three Nanking Cherries that didn't make it through the storms. Yay! And I have plans to get several fruiting trees from this one website I found and start an unusual potted orchard. Unusual like this: shipovas and medlars and serviceberries and moutain ash and New Zealand vine and Hazelnuts. Apples and pears don't grow that well here, but maybe I'll look up a few heat-hardy varieties. Someone downtown has pears growing in their yard, so it has to be possible. And the Arborday Foundation can grace me with the serviceberries and the hazelnuts at a discount when I renew my subscription, which should be within the next few weeks.

I'm going to see if I can get anyone to take me by biglots and rescue any of those miniature Christmas trees that they might have left. I want to plant my two Christmas Trees from actual Christmas Trees instead of just any old trees because so many of them just get tossed when the season is done.

I'm very excited.

I'm still having trouble getting up on time. It's the winter, I think. My brain keeps telling my legs and arms to stay asleep when I wake up and it's cold and dark. That'll have to stop soon, though, because I have to budget my time better or I'm never going to get myself finishing things before deadline. And once the garden goes in, it'll need attention before work.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...