Wednesday, November 11, 2009

organization

I'm not organized. Like, at all. I generally know where everything I need is (generally...), but there's very little that a person could call organization about my life. But with this being NaNoWriMo and with taking on a second job (what will allow me to eat and maybe have a little more spare monies for things like books and movies and other things in the category of Not Living Like A Monk Until I'm Crushed Under It All), and still having the articles to write and the editing to edit and the various other things I like doing to do still demanding my time, I've decided to try and organize.

I've been using the Organized Writer's Planner for a while now. It's awesome. Even though it's geared more toward freelance than fiction, it has the idea that creative types need different ways to wrangle themselves and have other things to wrangle than non-creative-business types, and that means it's already something I can live with. And it breaks things down so they aren't so scary, which I've realized recently is a big part of my natural procrastination: being overwhelmed.

And since I never could leave well enough alone, I combine it with the D*I*Y Planner that has a lot of other pages I can and frequently do use, and I make several specific pages for myself, like the debt management pages (I want to get most of my debt, meaning everything that's not a school loan, paid off within the next ten years, because that's when I plan to start being Important and I don't want stupid old debts from when I was 18 dragging along after me), and the expenses pages. And Avon is very good at sending me pages to help track that, so that's good, too.

I'm freakishly visual, so I have a calendar on the board in my bedroom and by my desk, and a dayplanner in my purse, all with everything I'm expected to remember in them.

I make lists constantly.

And it's starting to work. As long as I remember to keep up with it all, it makes everything much more reasonable and handleable.

How do you, readers mine, organize yourselves?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...