Saturday, October 19, 2013

Gluten Free Me - What I've been eating


Somewhere on one of the GF blogs, I read the best advice ever: the easiest way to be gluten free is to eat stuff that naturally doesn't have gluten. So that's what I've been doing, mostly. Recently, we've had:
- Potroast and mashed potatoes
- Pork and sweet potatoes with applesauce
- Roast chicken with baked potato and cheddar-broccoli topping

And when something normally has a wheat-based starch, like tonight's hotdogs and beans, I usually just skip the bread. Last night, when we had barbecue beef sandwiches, I had mine over rice.

Lunches are more in my control than dinners, which everyone shares. I eat a lot of soups at lunchtime; it's fairly easy to find GF soup, and ones I make myself are guaranteed to be GF. Plus, home made soup makes use of bones and veggies we have lying around and freezes real well for later.

One of my fav lunches is at the top of this post: toasted corn tortillas with tuna and veggies. I use mostly the pre-flavored tuna, and I find that I don't need to add sauce or mayo or anything because it already tastes good. Then I top it with whatever veggies we have around and nom away! Less that 300 cals, naturally GF and delicious!

I do eat a lot of the standard GF pancakes, and I'm starting to get tired of them; I think I'll try the Bob's Red Mill pancake mix soon. And I do miss cupcakes, muffins and cookies, so I think I'll also try Bob's GF all-purpose flour soon; I found out yesterday that WalMart has it for almost $2 cheaper than Target, where we usually shop.

Day 27 and I'm doing pretty well!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...