Monday, September 15, 2014

What to do when you feel sick

So I watched this show where this guy was tracking down famous dead people's DNA to see what he could learn from it. There's a lot going on there, it's a fascinating show ("Dead Famous DNA" on Netflix), but the part that matters here is that he found out that Darwin had Crohns Disease. He was sick every day of his life and was still a prolific scientist and writer and letter-writer.

Today, I woke up sick. There's some stomach bug going around; a kid at my sister's work had it, now she does, and the baby's been saying he feels sick too. I was hoping I'd be okay, but this morning, I woke up queasy and sort of... You know that wobbly-in-the-insides feeling you get with a stomach bug, where it's like everything is made of jello and moving around unpleasantly?

Like that.

But see, I had things to do today. And I'm supposed to be taking care of mom, who just had more shoulder surgery and is laid up again.

So here's what I do when I feel sick:

- Slow down: it doesn't matter how quickly things get done as long as they get done. Or at least started.

- Eat gently: maybe skip the vitamins. Brew the tea a little less strong. Skip the stuff that you know causes issues. Do the BRAT diet, like a sick kid--bananas, rice, applesauce, toast. Only my T is tea because I don't have any GF bread around.

- Skip really active stuff: don't push yourself at all, physically, if you don't have to. If you do have to, don't push a second further than the minimum. Focus on resting. In the average life, lifting and shifting and pulling can be done a different day.

- Nap: as often as you need. Whenever you need. Or at least as soon as you can, if you have to work or something.

- Keep the bathroom stocked: especially if you have a stomach bug, you're not going to want to be without. And you might not be able to get out to get more toilet paper or something.

- Take the hottest showers you can handle: I don't know about you, but to me, a really hot shower feels like it's cleaning out the germs. It also loosens up my chronic sinus clog that gets worse whenever my immune system goes wonky. And it definitely helps with body aches.

- Drink a lot of water: Because hydration.

I'm not as sick as Darwin always was. Not by far. My uncle has Chrons and I know what that's like. But for this day or three or five or whatever, it feels pretty bad, and I know I'm not at my normal level on anything.

If I'm still sick on Friday, which is shopping day, I'm going to buy a big cow or pig bone and make some bone broth to bring my nutrients back up. I think I'm going to drink about as much tea as I always do, but slower, and maybe with more milk and less tea. Maybe I can find my elderberries and see if they're still good enough to make a healing tea from?

And I'm going to try and get better.

What do you do when you're sick? What foods do you eat? What steps do you take? Do you have any hope remedies you swear by?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...