Monday, February 7, 2011

link: Why Letting Yourself Make Mistakes Means Making Fewer of Them | Psychology Today

Why Letting Yourself Make Mistakes Means Making Fewer of Them | Psychology Today:

"While some people seem eager to tackle new challenges, many of us are really just trying to survive without committing any major screw-ups. Taking on something totally new and unfamiliar is understandably frightening, since the odds of making a mistake are good when you are inexperienced. Small wonder that we greet new challenges with so little enthusiasm.

How can we learn to see things differently? How can we shift our thinking, and approach new responsibilities and challenges with more confidence and energy?"

Thinking in terms of progress, not perfection. That's so simple. And totally mind-blowing, like when I was trying to figure out how to save and budget better, and all I had to do was think in terms of how much money I can keep, not how much I can spend. This is the same thing, a little tweak of personal mindspace that makes everything look different.

I'm trying to progress. To improve, and learn and get better all the time. New things are hard, and I can make mistakes along the way as long as I learn from them.

I suddenly feel so much better about the world.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...