Monday, February 21, 2011

spring has probably sprung

Last year, about this time, all the leaves started coming up and the peach tree started putting out flowers. The bees came back and it was pollinated, and we even got a little pea-sized baby peach... and then we had several last-minute freezes and the first leaves and the little baby peach all froze off. I'm leery of putting out the new things for the garden because of this tendency... I can't remember if it happened the year before because we didn't have the peach tree yet (her name is Melba), and I was late starting the garden because of various crazy, so I didn't have to worry about February.

I think the rose is dead. I'm going out at some point this week to lop off the branches that are definitely not alive anymore, and to see if I can find any livingness in the main stem and roots. If it is alive, I'll feed it tea and powdered milk and see if I can get it to flower this year. If not... well. I don't know. I'll be sad. And I guess I'll get a new rose bush and start over. The green rose I got to go with it last year never even sprouted, so I guess they're together in the Way of All Things.

I need to get to the Seed Vault (see: the huge collection of jars in my closet) and pick up the tomatoes and peppers and herbs I want to grow this year. Several of them won't be viable much longer, so I may as well plant a bunch of them.

I need to get new dirt, since the rains this winter washed away most of my bucket of reserved dirt, and it's probably mostly not good anymore, anyway.

I need to go through the seed catalogues and see what's neat and new that I can afford.

But later. I don't have time today.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...