Monday, September 3, 2012

Life Lessons: When life messes with your computer harddrive, get a new computer.


Last night, I bit the bullet and just bought that new computer. Dell was having a sort-of deal--no speakers, keyboard or mouse, but you get a new tower and a 20'' monitor for 399$, so I spent some of my moving-my-stuff-up-here money and ordered it. It wasn't easy--four hundred dollars of money that's already spoken for is a lot of money--but last week I lost a lot of time to the poor old girl crapping out on me, and I just couldn't take it anymore. I actually made the decision earlier in the week, but it took me until Sunday, the last day in the way I count weeks, to get it done.

And you know what? I instantly felt better. Whatever this week throws at me, computer-wise, I have a shiny new one coming, and it has the right connection for me to hook it up as a double-monitor machine like I've always wanted. It's not the all-in-one shiny newness I was hoping for, it cost more money that I wanted to spend, but it's new and it shouldn't have all the problems I've just been living with because I didn't want to spend the money to fix them.

There's got to be a lesson in here somewhere. Don't delay the inevitable? I didn't put it off as far as I did when I bought this one, which was until the old one literally died and left me with no options at all. Suck it up and just act like an adult, even if you don't feel like one? I never quite feel like an adult, but I did feel a little more in control of my life and this shaky situation by just doing what needed to be done

I'm notorious (at least with myself) for not getting mundane stuff done until I have no choice but to do it. I have this deep and abiding feeling that I shouldn't have to do what I don't want to do. But I think that is exactly the definition of being adult--doing all the boring and annoying stuff you don't want to do, but that has to be done. What I'm starting to figure out, is that we all have the choice about how we frame all that stuff--and that the frame determines whether we avoid it or just suck it up and do it.

And, I mean, it's been seven years since I got this computer. It's served me well. I've saved it three times now. It's time to get a new workspace, since school AND what little job I have all depend on this.

What dumb thing have you been avoiding? Do you think you can just suck it up and do it after all?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...